Clever Birds Australia

My photo
Grafton, NSW, Australia
My aim is to help people and their birds through advice and information. Birds are very clever. Read this blog to learn tips to make you bird clever!, Hi my name is Kim. I keep a variety of very Clever Birds! I keep Australian native and exotic parrots. Cockatiels I guess fill up more space than any others in my garden and bird room. I show my cockatiels and have a breeding program for a rare mutation which appeared in the latest "A Guide To Cockatiels" book, written up by Dr Terry Martin who is a world famous bird geneticist. A photo of my bird showed the unusual feather patterning and colour. Budgerigars were my first bird and I keep the show budgies and Bush Budgies. My interest is in breeding unusual colours.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

What you can learn from parrots in the wild as a pet owner

I can relate to what Jim McKendry (bird behaviourist) says about getting out into the wild to see what real wild parrots do. I live in the bush with daily visits around my hut from parrots including Sulphur-crested and Black Cockatoos, Pink and Grey Galahs, Rainbow and other Lorikeets, King Parrots and more.

To watch their antics and the way they interact in the wild is so worth it in terms of helping you understand bird behaviour in parrots kept in captivity. One thing of importance that I have noticed is the lack of hostility between wild birds of different species. Because there is plenty of space and plenty of food and water to go around, they don't fight like parrots in captivity will often do if different species are put in the same cage. Here is a link to Jim's Parrot Behaviour & Enrichment Consultations page or you can click to send him an instant message with a bird question.

No comments:

 

Clever Birds

The Pet Directory