Clever Birds Australia

My photo
Grafton, NSW, Australia
My aim is to help people and their birds through advice and information. Birds are very clever. Read this blog to learn tips to make you bird clever!, Hi my name is Kim. I keep a variety of very Clever Birds! I keep Australian native and exotic parrots. Cockatiels I guess fill up more space than any others in my garden and bird room. I show my cockatiels and have a breeding program for a rare mutation which appeared in the latest "A Guide To Cockatiels" book, written up by Dr Terry Martin who is a world famous bird geneticist. A photo of my bird showed the unusual feather patterning and colour. Budgerigars were my first bird and I keep the show budgies and Bush Budgies. My interest is in breeding unusual colours.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Wing Clipping - Should I clip my parrot's wings?

The aim of a wing clip is not to stop the bird flying but to reduce its ability to gain height, so if it tries to fly it will quietly flutter down to the ground. This is safer for the bird as it removes access to many of the “nasties” that exist in most households and it also reduces the ability to fly away and get lost. The link is to an excellent short article by an avian bird vet Dr Mike Cannon where he gives the pros and cons of clipping your bird's wings. This applies to parrots commonly kept as pets such as Cockatiels, Budgerigars, Lorikeets, Galah, Eclectus, African Greys, Amazons, Macaws etc. Remember to only trim the first 6 flight feathers and no more. Here is a link to another short article on facts about wing clipping from the bird vet.

No comments:

 

Clever Birds

The Pet Directory